"no person in the united states shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
title ix of the education amendments of 1972
万家彩票手机客户端title ix is a federal law that prohibits discrimination based on sex or gender in educational programs and activities that receive federal financial assistance. examples of programs and activities that are subject to title ix include admissions, recruitment, financial aid, academic programs, athletics, housing, and employment. title ix protects students and employees from sexual harassment, including sexual violence, such as rape, relationship violence, stalking, and other forms of sexual misconduct or gender-based discrimination. tech collectively refers to these prohibited behaviors or conduct as sexual misconduct. these prohibited behaviors are also considered a violation of new mexico tech’s interim sexual misconduct policy that applies to all tech’s students and employees.
万家彩票手机客户端new mexico tech’s title ix coordinator monitors and oversees the university’s compliance with title ix and related laws in the prevention of sex harassment and discrimination. this includes the coordination of education and training activities and the response to title ix complaints. students, faculty, administrators, staff, or others who participate in tech’s education programs and activities with questions, concerns, or complaints about sex/gender-based discrimination, stalking, intimate partner violence, sex harassment or other forms of sexual misconduct are encouraged to contact tech’s title ix coordinator:
Title IX CoordinatorPeter Phaiah, Ph.D. Assistant Vice President for Student and University Relations
Dean of Students 20D Brown Hall 801 Leroy Place Socorro, NM 87801 (575) 835-5187 Off. (575) 322-0001 Cell. Email:
dr. phaiah is available to meet with students or employees who need information or guidance about title ix offenses. normal office hours are monday through friday, from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. but appointments also can be made outside of these hours.
title ix inquiries or other non-academic student conduct issues can also be directed to:
Student Conduct Coordinator & Title IX InvestigatorAdelina Wright Student Conduct Coordinator & Title IX Investigator Brown Hall 20 Socorro, NM 87801 Phone: 575-835-5357 Email: TBD
For more information see New Mexico Tech Sexual Misconduct Policy万家彩票手机客户端 or Procedures for Reporting Incidents of Misconduct or Title IX Offenses below.
万家彩票手机客户端if you have any questions, you are welcome to contact us.
万家彩票手机客户端some of you also may have heard about new interim guidance recently issued by the u.s. department of education's office for civil rights (ocr) as it initiates a rulemaking process on the topic of schools' title ix responsibilities concerning complaints of sexual misconduct. with the new interim guidance, the ocr rescinded its ocr's 2011 dear colleague letter on sexual violence and subsequent questions and answers document issued in 2014.
we have reviewed the interim guidance and tech's continuing responsibilities under title ix, the clery act, and applicable new mexico law, and do not believe that changes to our current practices are warranted at this time. tech remains firmly committed to our work in preventing, educating, and responding to issues of sexual misconduct and relationship violence.
万家彩票手机客户端the following policies and procedures govern tech’s response to complaints of sexual misconduct and prohibited conduct:
- Sexual Misconduct Policy
- Student Handbook: A Guide to University Citizenship
- New Mexico Definitions of Violence Against Women Act CrimesEmployee Reporting Obligations Under Title IXEmployee Handbook (Appendix D: Sexual Assault Reporting Process)
- Procedures for Responding to Reports of Sexual Misconduct
- Sexual Misconduct Investigative Procedures Involving Students
- Informal Resolution Process for Student Sexual Misconduct Cases
- Procedures to Follow if You are the Respondent/ Accused
- Annual Security and Fire Safety Report/Crime Statistics
- Sexual Misconduct Risk Reduction Tip
- Sexual Misconduct Reporting Options and Procedures (Word DOC Download)
- Know Your Rights: Pregnancy and Parenting- Title IX Protects You From Discrimination at School
万家彩票手机客户端the , as amended (sometimes referred to as the buckley amendment), is a federal law that protects the privacy of education records of all students enrolled in schools beyond the high school level. schools are required to maintain that privacy, primarily by restricting release of records and the access provided to those records. under ferpa, education records are defined as records that are directly related to a student and are maintained by an education agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution. the information may be recorded in any way, including, but not limited to, handwriting, print, computer media, videotape, audiotape, film, microfilm, microfiche, and e-mail.
万家彩票手机客户端any educational institution that receives funds under any program administered by the u.s. secretary of education is bound by ferpa requirements. institutions that fail to comply with ferpa may have funds administered by the secretary of education withheld. the u.s. department of education maintains a website with information about .
Students may grant the Title IX Office permission to release information about their records to a third party (including parents, step-parents, etc.) by completing the FERPA Authorization online. Please notice, you must complete a separate entry for each parent, family member, or other individual to whom you wish to grant access to information regarding your case. Please click here to get access to the release form. If you do not have a Tech student account, please contact 万家彩票手机客户端 to obtain the form via email.
once completed and submitted to the title ix office, we will reach out to student to confirm that the authorization is in place.
万家彩票手机客户端while the university encourages an individual who has experienced sexual misconduct to make an official report, whether the person chooses to do so, they are urged to seek appropriate help. there are numerous resources for students and employees on campus at nmt or externally in the community or region. specific resources, either on or off campus for medical treatment, legal evidence collection, obtaining information, support, counseling, and officially reporting an incident of sexual misconduct are listed below.
On-campus Emergency Resources:
- NMTPD/CamPo- 911 or call (575) 835-5555 for a non-emergency; CamPo is located in the Student Activities Center (SAC)
- Student Health Provider- (575) 835-5094; 1st floor Fidel; Confidential report
- Counseling & Disability Services Center- (575) 835-6619; 1st floor Fidel; Confidential report
On-campus Non-emergency Resources:
- Title IX Coordinator- (575) 835-5187; ; Brown Hall 20D
- Office of AA/EEOC- (575) 835-5005; Fitch Hall 213
- Anonymous reports can be made by victims and/or third parties using the online reporting form posted at the NMT Affirmative Action Office, or the reporting hotline at (575) 835-5005.
Community Resources & Partners:
- Socorro General Hospital (SGH)- (575) 835-1140 select Emergency Room (ER) from the recording options
- Socorro Mental Health- (575) 835-2444
- Socorro General Medical Group Clinic- (575) 838-4690, Tona Hudson (LCSW) is a current resource for psychiatric needs, therapy, and connect victims with appropriate resources in the area.
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE)- (505) 884-7263; Albuquerque (transportation available via NMTPD)
- Rape Crisis Center of Central New Mexico- (505) 266-7711 or (888) 881-8282
- New Mexico Crisis, Crisis Line- (855) 662-7474
- New Mexico Crisis, Warm Line (Peer to Peer) – (855) 466-7100
- New Mexico Crisis, TTY Line- (855) 227-5485
- Albuquerque Agora Hotline- (505) 277-3013
- CrisisText- Text HOME to 741741
- Presbyterian Medical Services- (575) 835-4444
- NMT Employee Assistant Program (EAP): Corporate Health Resource- (800) 348-3232